Seattle Genealogical Society
Founded in 1923
Announcing the SGS100 Family History Writing Contest!
The Seattle Genealogical Society is thrilled to request submissions for our Centennial Family History Contest!
100th Anniversary Theme: Family Artifact
All writers are welcomed; you do not need to be an SGS member to submit.
Stories with a focus on the Pacific Northwest and/or diverse cultures of the PNW will be given extra credit! Monetary prizes will be awarded to first ($200), second ($125) and third ($75) place winners in addition to one year of SGS membership. Additional prizes will be awarded to entries featuring stories representing diverse cultures.
Submit your story by July 1, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the rules:
1. Please keep submissions under 3000 words (not including endnotes).
2. Cite the facts as endnotes, but since these are usually your family stories, there aren’t many.
3. It is preferred that these are unpublished works. If your story has been published before, make sure you have
permission to republish. Include the name of the publication, when it was published and their permission for
4. The Review Committee will review all submissions and award the prizes.
5. The Review Committee makes all decisions, and all decisions are final.
6. Submit the manuscript in Word form. Photos enhance a story.
7. Prize winners will be published in the Fall SGS Journal. Some manuscripts may be selected for publication, but not
receive a monetary award. These are usually published in subsequent issues of the Journal.
8. If you have any questions, just contact Jill Morelli email@example.com. This is a great summer project!
The Winners of the Contest will be announced in October,
with winning essays published in the SGS Journal.
To keep informed of our Centennial activities be sure to subscribe to the bimonthly SGS eNews! (bit.ly/sgs_enews) and watch for news and notices on the Centennial page (bit.ly/SGS100) of the SGS website!